NVIDIA
Driver advice.
I have been unable to find any information or advice on selecting drivers for the K2. We are on ESXi 6.0 and Horizon View 6.2 running the latest version of Revit, as well as AutoCad, Rhino and a few others. We are using a fairly old driver, Host 346.68 and client 348.07. The applications seem to be running well for the most part but we are having issues with PCoIP disconnects, and I do not know if that could be the driver or not. I am wondering if it is a best practice to keep up with the latest drivers? The last time I checked Autodesk had no recommendations for GRID drivers for their latest products. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have been unable to find any information or advice on selecting drivers for the K2. We are on ESXi 6.0 and Horizon View 6.2 running the latest version of Revit, as well as AutoCad, Rhino and a few others. We are using a fairly old driver, Host 346.68 and client 348.07. The applications seem to be running well for the most part but we are having issues with PCoIP disconnects, and I do not know if that could be the driver or not. I am wondering if it is a best practice to keep up with the latest drivers?

The last time I checked Autodesk had no recommendations for GRID drivers for their latest products. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted 12/12/2016 06:14 PM   
Hi Barry The current drivers available for you are 367.64 / 369.71, so you are a few revisions behind. The GRID drivers themselves are unlikely to be responsible for your PCoIP dropouts. As for keeping them up to date, newer drivers will usually include functionality and performance updates, bug fixes, compatibility updates and offer better stability than older drivers. They'll typically be more secure as well. I personally always try to run the latest driver packages, but like any update and even more so with drivers, I evaluate it before introducing it into a production platform. With GRID, you obviously have 2 drivers to evaluate (Host and VM) before you update your production platform. If you can't find any driver recommendations from the specific application vendors, then the chances are they either don't have any or just don't want to make those recommendations. My advice on that, aim for the most recent ones, but obviously make sure you throughly test before introducing them into your platform. A key consideration to your GRID driver update schedule, is that unlike typical Windows updates, you have to pair the Host driver with the VM driver in order to complete the upgrade, and if you have lots of GPU enabled Hosts, this can actually become a large piece of work to have to undertake regularly and can become a bit of a pain, especially if you stand to gain very little from the updated drivers either becasue they do not contain any bug fixes relevent to you or improvements that you can see. I guess it just depends how you manage your infrastructure and how much spare capacity you have as to how simple the upgrade process is and also how busy your team are with BAU tasks. To mitigate any issues that have not been picked up during pre-production testing, you typically wouldn't update your entire GPU estate at the same time, as the roll back isn't a very quick process if you were to encouter any issues. You then have to consider which VMs reside on which Hosts as the Host / VM drivers will differ. However, I try and factor the update process in when I'm designing platforms so they're easier to maintain, but having to keep the drivers in sync can be a bit of a pain, and now that VMware has announced its vGPU HA ability, keeping drivers in sync will become even more important! ... Regards Ben
Hi Barry

The current drivers available for you are 367.64 / 369.71, so you are a few revisions behind.

The GRID drivers themselves are unlikely to be responsible for your PCoIP dropouts.

As for keeping them up to date, newer drivers will usually include functionality and performance updates, bug fixes, compatibility updates and offer better stability than older drivers. They'll typically be more secure as well. I personally always try to run the latest driver packages, but like any update and even more so with drivers, I evaluate it before introducing it into a production platform. With GRID, you obviously have 2 drivers to evaluate (Host and VM) before you update your production platform.

If you can't find any driver recommendations from the specific application vendors, then the chances are they either don't have any or just don't want to make those recommendations. My advice on that, aim for the most recent ones, but obviously make sure you throughly test before introducing them into your platform.

A key consideration to your GRID driver update schedule, is that unlike typical Windows updates, you have to pair the Host driver with the VM driver in order to complete the upgrade, and if you have lots of GPU enabled Hosts, this can actually become a large piece of work to have to undertake regularly and can become a bit of a pain, especially if you stand to gain very little from the updated drivers either becasue they do not contain any bug fixes relevent to you or improvements that you can see. I guess it just depends how you manage your infrastructure and how much spare capacity you have as to how simple the upgrade process is and also how busy your team are with BAU tasks.

To mitigate any issues that have not been picked up during pre-production testing, you typically wouldn't update your entire GPU estate at the same time, as the roll back isn't a very quick process if you were to encouter any issues. You then have to consider which VMs reside on which Hosts as the Host / VM drivers will differ. However, I try and factor the update process in when I'm designing platforms so they're easier to maintain, but having to keep the drivers in sync can be a bit of a pain, and now that VMware has announced its vGPU HA ability, keeping drivers in sync will become even more important! ...

Regards

Ben

Posted 12/12/2016 08:13 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply