Artificial Intelligence Computing Leadership from NVIDIA
vGPU for AutoCAD/RDSH questions
to MrGRID: "I also realize that HYPER-V is the "worst" hypervisor currently available, but, it's what I've been using for over a decade, and I have no experience with VMware, Citrix, Linux, etc." I do not see any difference between MS DDA and other pass-trough technics: all of them use the same PCIe functions for own goals. Only one difference exist: there is now any profiles to divide such cards (physical PCIe function) as nVidia T4 onto virtual PCIe functions resources like as it do for other hypervisors. Could anybody describe what does it mean word "GRID" in MS Windows Server driver without such profiles support? When T4 resources are able to partitioning in ESXi, Xen and KVM, why they are not able to be devided auch a manner for MS DDA?
to MrGRID: "I also realize that HYPER-V is the "worst" hypervisor currently available, but, it's what I've been using for over a decade, and I have no experience with VMware, Citrix, Linux, etc."

I do not see any difference between MS DDA and other pass-trough technics: all of them use the same PCIe functions for own goals.

Only one difference exist: there is now any profiles to divide such cards (physical PCIe function) as nVidia T4 onto virtual PCIe functions resources like as it do for other hypervisors.

Could anybody describe what does it mean word "GRID" in MS Windows Server driver without such profiles support?

When T4 resources are able to partitioning in ESXi, Xen and KVM, why they are not able to be devided auch a manner for MS DDA?

Posted 06/01/2020 08:59 PM   
Hi As I mentioned in a previous post further up the thread, the term "Worst" needs to be kept in context. "Worst" being its overall graphics support. I'm sure Hyper-V may have other advantages, but as I solely work with GPU workloads, I stopped using it many years ago so am not able to articulate them. Passthrough and DDA are the same thing. It's just Microsoft trying to look like they're doing something different by calling it something else. When using vGPU, you do not pass the GPU through to the VM(s) (there is no PCIe Passthrough), you allocate a portion of the GPUs Framebuffer through the vGPU Manager and each VMs access to the GPUs resources is time-sliced using its Scheduler. This requires virtualisation, and this is the part that Microsoft do not support. For clarity, NVIDIA vGPU (originally named "GRID") is a package of components (Software and Hardware) that form the solution. By using specific GPUs with specific Software, you are using vGPU (GRID). With all of that said, if you look at what NVIDIA have done with the A100, then Microsoft [i]might[/i] be an ok choice once NVIDIA release the new graphics line for Tesla and Quadro. We'll have to wait and see what gets released ... Regards MG
Hi

As I mentioned in a previous post further up the thread, the term "Worst" needs to be kept in context. "Worst" being its overall graphics support. I'm sure Hyper-V may have other advantages, but as I solely work with GPU workloads, I stopped using it many years ago so am not able to articulate them.

Passthrough and DDA are the same thing. It's just Microsoft trying to look like they're doing something different by calling it something else.

When using vGPU, you do not pass the GPU through to the VM(s) (there is no PCIe Passthrough), you allocate a portion of the GPUs Framebuffer through the vGPU Manager and each VMs access to the GPUs resources is time-sliced using its Scheduler. This requires virtualisation, and this is the part that Microsoft do not support.

For clarity, NVIDIA vGPU (originally named "GRID") is a package of components (Software and Hardware) that form the solution. By using specific GPUs with specific Software, you are using vGPU (GRID).

With all of that said, if you look at what NVIDIA have done with the A100, then Microsoft might be an ok choice once NVIDIA release the new graphics line for Tesla and Quadro. We'll have to wait and see what gets released ...

Regards

MG

Posted 06/02/2020 06:49 AM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply