Artificial Intelligence Computing Leadership from NVIDIA
Citrix VDI - Grey Screen at logon
Hi guys, Here is my set up (fresh installation): Windows 10 1809 LTSC (Fully patched) Citrix VDA 1912 VMWare ESXi 6.7U3 VMware Tools v11.0.5-15389592 (SVGA Driver not installed) Microsoft Basic Display Driver Adapter (disabled) NVIDIA-GRID-vSphere-6.7-440.53-440.56-442.06 - v10.1 GPU: NVIDIA Tesla M10 vGPU profile: M10-1B When the Citrix VDI session is initiated a grey screen is all the user can see. Please refer to the screen shot below: [url]https://ibb.co/G5zpvqn[/url] Citrix Policies: [url]https://ibb.co/8YjCpL7[/url] Surprisingly, if a master image, same setup specified above, but running Citrix VDA 7.15 LTSR CU5 is upgraded to Citrix VDA 1912 LTSR, the issue goes away and the VDIs work wonders. Any thoughts? Thank you
Hi guys,

Here is my set up (fresh installation):
Windows 10 1809 LTSC (Fully patched)
Citrix VDA 1912
VMWare ESXi 6.7U3
VMware Tools v11.0.5-15389592 (SVGA Driver not installed)
Microsoft Basic Display Driver Adapter (disabled)
NVIDIA-GRID-vSphere-6.7-440.53-440.56-442.06 - v10.1
GPU: NVIDIA Tesla M10
vGPU profile: M10-1B

When the Citrix VDI session is initiated a grey screen is all the user can see. Please refer to the screen shot below:

https://ibb.co/G5zpvqn

Citrix Policies:

https://ibb.co/8YjCpL7

Surprisingly, if a master image, same setup specified above, but running Citrix VDA 7.15 LTSR CU5 is upgraded to Citrix VDA 1912 LTSR, the issue goes away and the VDIs work wonders.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Posted 03/22/2020 02:25 PM   
Hi vianneyjs can you try to resize the window? Does the grey screen goes away? I have this issue on some clients for example my home pc aswell. It seems that the video stream freezes and when i resize the window it gets refreshed, i only have this issue on the start and not while connected. Br Mat
Hi vianneyjs

can you try to resize the window? Does the grey screen goes away? I have this issue on some clients for example my home pc aswell. It seems that the video stream freezes and when i resize the window it gets refreshed, i only have this issue on the start and not while connected.

Br
Mat

Posted 03/24/2020 11:05 AM   
So you already have a solution?! Why should you stay with 7.15? This is the worst release for GPU enabled VDIs and really makes sense to go with 1912
So you already have a solution?! Why should you stay with 7.15? This is the worst release for GPU enabled VDIs and really makes sense to go with 1912

Posted 03/24/2020 11:07 AM   
Hi guys, @Gormat Resizing the window does not help. @sschaber No, we have not found a solution yet. We are willing to use vGPU enabled VDIs with VDA 1912, no with VDA 7.15.
Hi guys,

@Gormat
Resizing the window does not help.

@sschaber
No, we have not found a solution yet. We are willing to use vGPU enabled VDIs with VDA 1912, no with VDA 7.15.

Posted 03/26/2020 02:31 AM   
Hi Have you tried an up to date version of Windows? Your version is from 2018, give a clean build 1909 a try and see how you get on. Regards MG
Hi

Have you tried an up to date version of Windows? Your version is from 2018, give a clean build 1909 a try and see how you get on.

Regards

MG

Posted 03/26/2020 07:53 AM   
Hi MrGRID. I will give a shot to Windows 10 1909. The reason we are using Windows 10 1809 LTSC, which is supported by MS for 10 years, is because it does not come with all the crapware and modern apps, what consequently makes it lightweight and ideal for a VDI environment.
Hi MrGRID.

I will give a shot to Windows 10 1909.

The reason we are using Windows 10 1809 LTSC, which is supported by MS for 10 years, is because it does not come with all the crapware and modern apps, what consequently makes it lightweight and ideal for a VDI environment.

Posted 03/26/2020 11:22 AM   
Hi If removing the default rubbish is the sole reason you're running an older OS, then a better option may be Server VDI. You could also use the Citrix Optimiser or VMware OS Optimization Tool to remove that default rubbish, and of course there are plenty of custom Powershell options to remove it as well if that helps give you more options. Regards MG
Hi

If removing the default rubbish is the sole reason you're running an older OS, then a better option may be Server VDI.

You could also use the Citrix Optimiser or VMware OS Optimization Tool to remove that default rubbish, and of course there are plenty of custom Powershell options to remove it as well if that helps give you more options.

Regards

MG

Posted 03/26/2020 12:32 PM   
Hello, @MrGRID I created a new master image with Windows 10 1909, surprisingly the issue is reproducible as well. That's very odd, what do you think?
Hello,

@MrGRID

I created a new master image with Windows 10 1909, surprisingly the issue is reproducible as well.

That's very odd, what do you think?

Posted 03/27/2020 03:21 PM   
Hi That's strange. Something else you can quickly try ... Can you remove / disable all of the Citrix Policies applied to that specific VM (or Delivery Group) and try again. More of a sanity check really. Just out of interest, are your Delivery Controllers upgraded to 1912, or are they an earlier version? As for what I think ... I think I'm going to bring up my Lab and have a test for you to see if I can replicate it ... :-) Regards MG
Hi

That's strange.

Something else you can quickly try ... Can you remove / disable all of the Citrix Policies applied to that specific VM (or Delivery Group) and try again. More of a sanity check really.

Just out of interest, are your Delivery Controllers upgraded to 1912, or are they an earlier version?

As for what I think ... I think I'm going to bring up my Lab and have a test for you to see if I can replicate it ... :-)

Regards

MG

Posted 03/27/2020 03:41 PM   
@MrGrid. We use Citrix Cloud Service, so the Delivery controllers should be running the latest version available. Let me rephrase this comment from my original post above: If a master image, same setup specified above, but running Citrix VDA 7.15 LTSR CU5, and then upgraded to Citrix VDA 1912 LTSR, the issue goes away....[i]but there is a nasty memory leak with the CtxGfx driver.[/i] [url=https://ibb.co/52SSRGW][img]https://i.ibb.co/8Xff7ND/CtxGfx.png[/img][/url]
@MrGrid.

We use Citrix Cloud Service, so the Delivery controllers should be running the latest version available.

Let me rephrase this comment from my original post above:

If a master image, same setup specified above, but running Citrix VDA 7.15 LTSR CU5, and then upgraded to Citrix VDA 1912 LTSR, the issue goes away....but there is a nasty memory leak with the CtxGfx driver.

Posted 03/27/2020 03:58 PM   
Hi Thanks for the info. What's your image build process? It should be: Install Windows > Install VMTools (Without vSGA Driver) > Install vGPU Driver > Install Citrix VDA When you upgrade the VDA from 7.15 to 1912, do you just run the upgrade or do you do anything with the vGPU driver? Regards MG
Hi

Thanks for the info.

What's your image build process? It should be:

Install Windows > Install VMTools (Without vSGA Driver) > Install vGPU Driver > Install Citrix VDA

When you upgrade the VDA from 7.15 to 1912, do you just run the upgrade or do you do anything with the vGPU driver?

Regards

MG

Posted 03/27/2020 04:12 PM   
@MrGRID "Something else you can quickly try ... Can you remove / disable all of the Citrix Policies applied to that specific VM (or Delivery Group) and try again. More of a sanity check really." Removed the Citrix Policies mentioned above: [url=https://ibb.co/8YjCpL7][img]https://i.ibb.co/8YjCpL7/Screen-Shot-2020-03-22-at-10-07-05-AM.png[/img][/url] ...from the VDIs' OU and the user I am using for testing, but it is still reproducible.
@MrGRID

"Something else you can quickly try ... Can you remove / disable all of the Citrix Policies applied to that specific VM (or Delivery Group) and try again. More of a sanity check really."

Removed the Citrix Policies mentioned above:

...from the VDIs' OU and the user I am using for testing, but it is still reproducible.

Posted 03/27/2020 04:14 PM   
@MrGRID Install Windows > Install VMTools (Without vSGA Driver) > Install vGPU Driver > Install Citrix VDA Yes, I did it in that order without without vSGA Driver. When you upgrade the VDA from 7.15 to 1912, do you just run the upgrade or do you do anything with the vGPU driver? I just run the upgrade, nothing else.
@MrGRID

Install Windows > Install VMTools (Without vSGA Driver) > Install vGPU Driver > Install Citrix VDA
Yes, I did it in that order without without vSGA Driver.

When you upgrade the VDA from 7.15 to 1912, do you just run the upgrade or do you do anything with the vGPU driver?
I just run the upgrade, nothing else.

Posted 03/27/2020 04:16 PM   
Hi Thanks, just seeing if this is something I can replicate ... Regards MG
Hi

Thanks, just seeing if this is something I can replicate ...

Regards

MG

Posted 03/27/2020 04:32 PM   
@MrGRID Thank you so much, I appreciate that.
@MrGRID

Thank you so much, I appreciate that.

Posted 03/27/2020 05:10 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply