NVIDIA
Grid newbee, want to add CAD VDI to serveur. Need help
No problem. Can you actually virtualise other GPUs, yes, you can. Virtualise as in "Passthrough", so these are a 1-1 mapping only. There's no GRID software to put on top to give you any additional features. However, you run into all sorts of other issues such as hardware compatibility and support with the server vendors, appropriate cooling of the GPUs, there's no monitoring of the GPU except within the VM etc etc. It's not a scalable solution. Plus it kind of negates the whole reason for virtualising anyway, which is to make better use of the hardware. Also, neither GeForce or Quadro go through the same testing process as Tesla. Basically, Tesla GPUs are designed to run hard 24x7x365. GeForce and Quadro are not. Regards Ben
No problem.

Can you actually virtualise other GPUs, yes, you can. Virtualise as in "Passthrough", so these are a 1-1 mapping only. There's no GRID software to put on top to give you any additional features. However, you run into all sorts of other issues such as hardware compatibility and support with the server vendors, appropriate cooling of the GPUs, there's no monitoring of the GPU except within the VM etc etc. It's not a scalable solution. Plus it kind of negates the whole reason for virtualising anyway, which is to make better use of the hardware.

Also, neither GeForce or Quadro go through the same testing process as Tesla. Basically, Tesla GPUs are designed to run hard 24x7x365. GeForce and Quadro are not.

Regards

Ben

Posted 05/30/2017 09:04 AM   
I was thinking of going Passthrough for the Gforce and giving it only to a Virtual Rending App, if it's possible. It wouldn't run 24/7, it would be just as needed. It would help me fill in the "gaps" and use the server better. Thanks again helping me through this thought process.
I was thinking of going Passthrough for the Gforce and giving it only to a Virtual Rending App, if it's possible. It wouldn't run 24/7, it would be just as needed. It would help me fill in the "gaps" and use the server better.

Thanks again helping me through this thought process.

Posted 06/01/2017 02:07 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply