Artificial Intelligence Computing Leadership from NVIDIA
Problems with perfomance vGPU (Dell R730, VMware ESXi 6.7, Tesla P40)
Hello. Acquired NVIDIA Tesla P40 graphics card for use in virtualization. Dell R730 Server, E5-2667v4, all-Flash, VMware ESXi hypervisor, 6.7.0, 17098360 We registered and received a 90-day trial license, installed the NVIDIA-GRID-vSphere-6.7-450.89-452.57 drivers. The licensing server runs on Windows Server 2012R2 x64 (License Client Manager version 2020.05.0.28406365 x64). The problem is this: Regardless of the selected profile (1..8q), the performance does not change in tests and in operation. The main work is related to CAD applications, performance measurement is carried out using the Red Turbine Demo and Solidworks 2020 Performance test. Are there performance limitations in the trial license? If there are not, how can we properly measure the performance for each profile?
Hello.
Acquired NVIDIA Tesla P40 graphics card for use in virtualization.
Dell R730 Server, E5-2667v4, all-Flash, VMware ESXi hypervisor, 6.7.0, 17098360
We registered and received a 90-day trial license, installed the NVIDIA-GRID-vSphere-6.7-450.89-452.57 drivers. The licensing server runs on Windows Server 2012R2 x64 (License Client Manager version 2020.05.0.28406365 x64).
The problem is this:
Regardless of the selected profile (1..8q), the performance does not change in tests and in operation. The main work is related to CAD applications, performance measurement is carried out using the Red Turbine Demo and Solidworks 2020 Performance test. Are there performance limitations in the trial license? If there are not, how can we properly measure the performance for each profile?

Posted 11/09/2020 09:22 AM   
I'm assuming you're using this in VGPU mode, can you cofirm what EUC you're using? Horizon/Citrix? Also can you confirm that [list] [.]Your vm is starting with a HW gpu (check vm events in vcenter)[/.] [.]You see the hardware for the video card in the vm[/.] [.]you've successfully checked out a license[/.] [/list] Also will note in testing once i got to a suitable profile (2b), using a better profile didn't get me better performance, though to be fair i didn't do synthetic testing, just real world loads that my users would hit. To make sure though i did remove the gpu to see what a non accelerated load would perform. Last thing I'd note, double check the vGPU guide, they qualify certain vgpu/OS/Hypervisor combos, that if not matched will give you bad performance.
I'm assuming you're using this in VGPU mode, can you cofirm what EUC you're using? Horizon/Citrix?

Also can you confirm that
  • Your vm is starting with a HW gpu (check vm events in vcenter)
  • You see the hardware for the video card in the vm
  • you've successfully checked out a license

Also will note in testing once i got to a suitable profile (2b), using a better profile didn't get me better performance, though to be fair i didn't do synthetic testing, just real world loads that my users would hit. To make sure though i did remove the gpu to see what a non accelerated load would perform.

Last thing I'd note, double check the vGPU guide, they qualify certain vgpu/OS/Hypervisor combos, that if not matched will give you bad performance.

Posted 11/09/2020 11:14 PM   
1. We are using Horizon Client latest version for Windows. 2. All conditions are met, vgpu is included in the equipment, the license is obtained by VDI. Maybe there are some recommended benchmarks to make sure vgpu is working properly?
1. We are using Horizon Client latest version for Windows.
2. All conditions are met, vgpu is included in the equipment, the license is obtained by VDI.
Maybe there are some recommended benchmarks to make sure vgpu is working properly?

Posted 11/11/2020 07:52 AM   
Ah, not sure on benchmarks, I used real testing to get an idea of load per user and monitored that by directly monitoring gpu and framebuffer usage and scaling for our load. As for horizon, can't help much there, FWIW we tried horizon before we went with citrix, as deployment seemed much simpler, and licensing would've saved us 30%, but we found vgpu performance in a greenfield deployment following all docs to a T to be the same as pure cpu. We're sure there was something wrong with our setup but after spending for a vmware suggested consultant and them confirming our setup looked perfect, they referring us to support. Vmware support then took ~6 weeks of throwing darts and requested we rebuild and collect diags before we finally asked for a refund and tried Citrix VAADS. With VAADS we were up and with great performance inside of a day.
Ah, not sure on benchmarks, I used real testing to get an idea of load per user and monitored that by directly monitoring gpu and framebuffer usage and scaling for our load.

As for horizon, can't help much there, FWIW we tried horizon before we went with citrix, as deployment seemed much simpler, and licensing would've saved us 30%, but we found vgpu performance in a greenfield deployment following all docs to a T to be the same as pure cpu.

We're sure there was something wrong with our setup but after spending for a vmware suggested consultant and them confirming our setup looked perfect, they referring us to support. Vmware support then took ~6 weeks of throwing darts and requested we rebuild and collect diags before we finally asked for a refund and tried Citrix VAADS. With VAADS we were up and with great performance inside of a day.

Posted 11/13/2020 05:51 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply