NVIDIA
10-bit color with VMWare
Does NVIDIA GRID support 10-bit color format with VMWare? I guess the demand for 10-bit color would be increasing in professional markets.
Does NVIDIA GRID support 10-bit color format with VMWare?
I guess the demand for 10-bit color would be increasing in professional markets.

Posted 07/24/2017 08:29 AM   
Hi Tsumatsumo, first of all VMWare or Citrix need to support this in the remoting protocol otherwise it makes no sense. As far as I know it is not supported/working today. There is to little demand to push them on this topic. Regards Simon
Hi Tsumatsumo,

first of all VMWare or Citrix need to support this in the remoting protocol otherwise it makes no sense. As far as I know it is not supported/working today. There is to little demand to push them on this topic.

Regards

Simon

Posted 07/24/2017 01:36 PM   
The problem is on NVidia side. There is possibility to capture 10-bit color with drivers >= r376 but NVidia Grid (vGPU) drivers are stuck in <= r370 and no information about backport of this feature was published (see [url]https://gridforums.nvidia.com/default/topic/402/grid-boards/10bit-hardware-and-vdi-for-medical-purpose/post/3915/[/url]). You can use Quadro card in passthrough mode but be aware of NVidia unknown status about passthrough of Pxxxx cards (see [url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/992447/[/url]). Terrible NVidia !
The problem is on NVidia side. There is possibility to capture 10-bit color with drivers >= r376 but NVidia Grid (vGPU) drivers are stuck in <= r370 and no information about backport of this feature was published (see https://gridforums.nvidia.com/default/topic/402/grid-boards/10bit-hardware-and-vdi-for-medical-purpose/post/3915/). You can use Quadro card in passthrough mode but be aware of NVidia unknown status about passthrough of Pxxxx cards (see https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/992447/). Terrible NVidia !

Posted 07/25/2017 11:23 AM   
Hi mcerveny, unfortunately you seem not to look at the whole picture. As I said already as long as the remoting vendors (Citrix and VMWare) doesn't provide a solution there is no task on our side. And btw there will be the next GRID major release very soon with the latest UDA driver branch. Tsumatosumo especially asked about VMWare so you should definetely take this into consideration before blaming others. Regards Simon
Hi mcerveny,
unfortunately you seem not to look at the whole picture. As I said already as long as the remoting vendors (Citrix and VMWare) doesn't provide a solution there is no task on our side. And btw there will be the next GRID major release very soon with the latest UDA driver branch. Tsumatosumo especially asked about VMWare so you should definetely take this into consideration before blaming others.

Regards

Simon

Posted 07/26/2017 07:04 AM   
Hello Simon. [quote="sschaber"]unfortunately you seem not to look at the whole picture. As I said already as long as the remoting vendors (Citrix and VMWare) doesn't provide a solution there is no task on our side.[/quote] Do you think that there is only Citrix and VMWare ? My solution is perfectly capable of H.265 Main10 remote protocol but I am blocked by NVidia "waiting" decision. [quote="sschaber"]Tsumatosumo especially asked about VMWare so you should definetely take this into consideration before blaming others.[/quote] VMWare is capable of passthrough vDGA that is first step (until new Grid drivers) to enable 10bit encoding from Jan 2017 (NVidia Capture SDK 6.0) but you probably need Pascal Quadro GPU (NVidia Video Codec SDK 8.0). Pascal Quadro GPUs (Pxxxx) are not on VMWare vDGA compatibility list and I suppose it will not be here because there is something crippled in VBios or driver initialization code in guest. I found workaround for Xen virtualization. [i]My opinion: As usual I am not requesting neither or expecting any solution from NVidia side (if something will come either it won't be usable for licenseless Grid K1/K2). I described only my point of view based on my real programming experiments and I do not try to interfere with NVidia's Visions.[/i] Yours sincerely, Martin
Hello Simon.

sschaber said:unfortunately you seem not to look at the whole picture. As I said already as long as the remoting vendors (Citrix and VMWare) doesn't provide a solution there is no task on our side.

Do you think that there is only Citrix and VMWare ?
My solution is perfectly capable of H.265 Main10 remote protocol but I am blocked by NVidia "waiting" decision.

sschaber said:Tsumatosumo especially asked about VMWare so you should definetely take this into consideration before blaming others.

VMWare is capable of passthrough vDGA that is first step (until new Grid drivers) to enable 10bit encoding from Jan 2017 (NVidia Capture SDK 6.0) but you probably need Pascal Quadro GPU (NVidia Video Codec SDK 8.0). Pascal Quadro GPUs (Pxxxx) are not on VMWare vDGA compatibility list and I suppose it will not be here because there is something crippled in VBios or driver initialization code in guest. I found workaround for Xen virtualization.

My opinion: As usual I am not requesting neither or expecting any solution from NVidia side (if something will come either it won't be usable for licenseless Grid K1/K2). I described only my point of view based on my real programming experiments and I do not try to interfere with NVidia's Visions.

Yours sincerely, Martin

Posted 07/26/2017 10:45 AM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply