NVIDIA
Problem with K1 and Vmware View: Device 8:0.0 is already in use.
To answer your questions i have installed the driver. [root@esxi-06:~] esxcli software vib list | grep -i nvidia NVIDIA-kepler-VMware_ESXi_6.0_Host_Driver 352.83-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585 NVIDIA VMwareAccepted 2016-04-04 [root@esxi-06:~] [root@esxi-06:~] nvidia-smi NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running. vmkload_mod -l | grep nvidia > gives no output I thought these commands are for vSGA or vGPU ... The problem is still the same - frist vm starts - second shows "already in use". VMWare called me today and they adviced me to open a new case at nvidia support. VMWare Case ID: 15808632611 I hope you can help us here! In VMWare ESXi 5.5 the same setup was working!
To answer your questions i have installed the driver.

[root@esxi-06:~] esxcli software vib list | grep -i nvidia
NVIDIA-kepler-VMware_ESXi_6.0_Host_Driver 352.83-1OEM.600.0.0.2494585 NVIDIA VMwareAccepted 2016-04-04
[root@esxi-06:~]

[root@esxi-06:~] nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

vmkload_mod -l | grep nvidia > gives no output

I thought these commands are for vSGA or vGPU ...

The problem is still the same - frist vm starts - second shows "already in use". VMWare called me today and they adviced me to open a new case at nvidia support.

VMWare Case ID: 15808632611

I hope you can help us here! In VMWare ESXi 5.5 the same setup was working!

Posted 04/04/2016 11:49 AM   
[quote="djbreezer"]To answer your questions i have installed the driver. [/quote] Why did you install the driver? The purpose of these checks was to confirm the driver is completely removed and no module remains behind. If your setup in 6.0 is identical to your 5.5 setup which is working, then it points to an issue with vSphere / ESXi. I've checked the VMWare HCL and K1 on R720 is supported in vSphere 6.0 U2 with the Dell R720 BIOS at 2.4.3 https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=vdga&productid=33815&vcl=true what BIOS is your R720 currently at?
djbreezer said:To answer your questions i have installed the driver.

Why did you install the driver?

The purpose of these checks was to confirm the driver is completely removed and no module remains behind.

If your setup in 6.0 is identical to your 5.5 setup which is working, then it points to an issue with vSphere / ESXi.

I've checked the VMWare HCL and K1 on R720 is supported in vSphere 6.0 U2 with the Dell R720 BIOS at 2.4.3

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=vdga&productid=33815&vcl=true

what BIOS is your R720 currently at?

Jason Southern, Regional Lead for ProVis Sales - EMEA: NVIDIA Ltd.

Posted 04/04/2016 12:15 PM   
[quote="Jason_Southern"][quote="djbreezer"]To answer your questions i have installed the driver. [/quote] Why did you install the driver? The purpose of these checks was to confirm the driver is completely removed and no module remains behind. If your setup in 6.0 is identical to your 5.5 setup which is working, then it points to an issue with vSphere / ESXi. I've checked the VMWare HCL and K1 on R720 is supported in vSphere 6.0 U2 with the Dell R720 BIOS at 2.4.3 https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=vdga&productid=33815&vcl=true what BIOS is your R720 currently at?[/quote] A ok - the system was clean. We also have tried these with a fresh install of ESXi - same result. The BIOS is on 2.5.4 on all servers. We try this since ESXi 6.0.0! We know that the HCL shows that the system should be compatible. VMWare says there might be a problem in the Nvidia card bios. But then the questions is: why the card was working in 5.5 ?
Jason_Southern said:
djbreezer said:To answer your questions i have installed the driver.

Why did you install the driver?

The purpose of these checks was to confirm the driver is completely removed and no module remains behind.

If your setup in 6.0 is identical to your 5.5 setup which is working, then it points to an issue with vSphere / ESXi.

I've checked the VMWare HCL and K1 on R720 is supported in vSphere 6.0 U2 with the Dell R720 BIOS at 2.4.3

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=vdga&productid=33815&vcl=true

what BIOS is your R720 currently at?

A ok - the system was clean. We also have tried these with a fresh install of ESXi - same result. The BIOS is on 2.5.4 on all servers. We try this since ESXi 6.0.0! We know that the HCL shows that the system should be compatible. VMWare says there might be a problem in the Nvidia card bios. But then the questions is: why the card was working in 5.5 ?

Posted 04/04/2016 12:24 PM   
If the card works with 5.5 there's no issue with the card. The vBIOS on the cards is unchanged since Nov 2013, and Dell have posted it for donwload since April 2014, so I doubt that's your issue. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=1YCT8 Does 5.5 work on the same hardware with the same SBIOS?
If the card works with 5.5 there's no issue with the card.

The vBIOS on the cards is unchanged since Nov 2013, and Dell have posted it for donwload since April 2014, so I doubt that's your issue.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=1YCT8

Does 5.5 work on the same hardware with the same SBIOS?

Posted 04/04/2016 12:28 PM   
THe hardware was the same - but we upgraded the SBIOS by the time. On every update we hoped that the vms now start - but no luck. Is there any way to see the card bios, which is installed acutally?
THe hardware was the same - but we upgraded the SBIOS by the time. On every update we hoped that the vms now start - but no luck.

Is there any way to see the card bios, which is installed acutally?

Posted 04/04/2016 12:31 PM   
[quote="djbreezer"]THe hardware was the same - but we upgraded the SBIOS by the time. On every update we hoped that the vms now start - but no luck. Is there any way to see the card bios, which is installed acutally?[/quote] Have you tried 6.0 with the 2.4.3 BIOS? You can see the vBIOS version in the NVIDIA Control Panel of the VM you can boot. It's under System Information (bottom left corner) then scroll down to Video Bios Version.
djbreezer said:THe hardware was the same - but we upgraded the SBIOS by the time. On every update we hoped that the vms now start - but no luck.

Is there any way to see the card bios, which is installed acutally?

Have you tried 6.0 with the 2.4.3 BIOS?

You can see the vBIOS version in the NVIDIA Control Panel of the VM you can boot. It's under System Information (bottom left corner) then scroll down to Video Bios Version.

Posted 04/04/2016 12:38 PM   
Yes we have tried this too. We also tried 2.2.2 Memory above 4 GB setting enabled and disabled. Still the same. Now i have installed a windows 10 on the vm which is booting. I can't open the Nvidia System Management from vSphere client. So i installed the View Connection Direct Plugin but if i connect via zero client i only get a black screen.
Yes we have tried this too. We also tried 2.2.2 Memory above 4 GB setting enabled and disabled. Still the same. Now i have installed a windows 10 on the vm which is booting.

I can't open the Nvidia System Management from vSphere client. So i installed the View Connection Direct Plugin but if i connect via zero client i only get a black screen.

Posted 04/04/2016 01:04 PM   
Finally after reboot pcoip works. [img]https://picload.org/image/rggaclgr/unbenannt.png[/img] https://picload.org/view/rggaclgr/unbenannt.png.html
Finally after reboot pcoip works.

https://picload.org/view/rggaclgr/unbenannt.png.html

Posted 04/04/2016 01:25 PM   
A few minutes ago vmware has called me - they can't do more for us. They say that nvidia has to contact them. Is there any possibility to buy a nvidia support ticket? We really need our grid cards and we cannot wait more time.
A few minutes ago vmware has called me - they can't do more for us. They say that nvidia has to contact them. Is there any possibility to buy a nvidia support ticket? We really need our grid cards and we cannot wait more time.

Posted 04/04/2016 01:51 PM   
For Kepler series cards, your support is via the OEM you purchased the cards from. It's only with GRID 2.0 that direct support was introduced.
For Kepler series cards, your support is via the OEM you purchased the cards from.

It's only with GRID 2.0 that direct support was introduced.

Posted 04/04/2016 06:28 PM   
Ok so i will call DELL to hear what they say.
Ok so i will call DELL to hear what they say.

Posted 04/05/2016 06:49 AM   
Whilst this is being investigated outside the forum one thing came to mind. With the introduction of vGPU on vSphere 6 we (Nvidia) introduced 1:1 vGPU profiles of K180Q and K280Q to simplify management. If the applications do not require CUDA, it may be worth implementing vGPU and using a K180Q profile in place of passthrough, whilst we resolve the issue with K1 in passthrough on vSphere 6.
Whilst this is being investigated outside the forum one thing came to mind.

With the introduction of vGPU on vSphere 6 we (Nvidia) introduced 1:1 vGPU profiles of K180Q and K280Q to simplify management.

If the applications do not require CUDA, it may be worth implementing vGPU and using a K180Q profile in place of passthrough, whilst we resolve the issue with K1 in passthrough on vSphere 6.

Posted 04/05/2016 09:08 AM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply