NVIDIA
vDGA Grid with VMWare ESX (no Horizon View)
[quote="djbreezer"]Hello, in the newest version of ESXi you cannot passthrough the GRID cores to vms! Means vDGA does not work anymore. Is this a nVidia or a VMWare problem? In 5.5 everything was working fine. We have opend a case at vmware, but the engineers does not find a solution. [/quote] Could you provide more detail? VMware does support vDGA in vSphere 6.
djbreezer said:Hello,
in the newest version of ESXi you cannot passthrough the GRID cores to vms! Means vDGA does not work anymore. Is this a nVidia or a VMWare problem? In 5.5 everything was working fine. We have opend a case at vmware, but the engineers does not find a solution.

Could you provide more detail?

VMware does support vDGA in vSphere 6.

Jason Southern, Regional Lead for ProVis Sales - EMEA: NVIDIA Ltd.

Posted 04/04/2016 10:56 AM   
[quote="Jason_Southern"][quote="djbreezer"]Hello, in the newest version of ESXi you cannot passthrough the GRID cores to vms! Means vDGA does not work anymore. Is this a nVidia or a VMWare problem? In 5.5 everything was working fine. We have opend a case at vmware, but the engineers does not find a solution. [/quote] Could you provide more detail? VMware does support vDGA in vSphere 6.[/quote] Sorry for this double post. I have posted everything here: https://gridforums.nvidia.com/default/topic/288/general-discussion/problem-with-k1-and-vmware-view-device-8-0-0-is-already-in-use-/ It seems that ESxi 6 doesn't support vDGA! Maybe only on R720 - we only have this series.
Jason_Southern said:
djbreezer said:Hello,
in the newest version of ESXi you cannot passthrough the GRID cores to vms! Means vDGA does not work anymore. Is this a nVidia or a VMWare problem? In 5.5 everything was working fine. We have opend a case at vmware, but the engineers does not find a solution.

Could you provide more detail?

VMware does support vDGA in vSphere 6.

Sorry for this double post. I have posted everything here:

https://gridforums.nvidia.com/default/topic/288/general-discussion/problem-with-k1-and-vmware-view-device-8-0-0-is-already-in-use-/

It seems that ESxi 6 doesn't support vDGA! Maybe only on R720 - we only have this series.

Posted 04/04/2016 12:03 PM   
Dear All Something similar I am working on....trying to figure out if there is any compatibility issue or whatsoever in my configuration Hardware: Core i7 4930k Proc Asus P9X79-WS Motherboard 64 Gig Ram 2 SSDs 2 Nvidia Quadro K6000 GPUs with Quadro SyncBoard Vmware vSphere Esxi 6.0 update 2 Installed ESXI with 2 VMs. Passthrough K6000 and both the VMs are running perfectly 4 output each (Windows 7 x64) Following are the issues: Using Nvidia driver ver 362.56 Nvidia Control Panel missing mosaic feature - Got it sorted by using mosaic utility command line Nvidia Control Panel no option to configure Syncboard. If i check the system information, i can see the sync board but i cannot configure the sync Anyone with this issue?. I think for this type of setup i dont need any VIB files on the esxi host. correct me if I am wrong Regards Kazim
Dear All

Something similar I am working on....trying to figure out if there is any compatibility issue or whatsoever in my configuration

Hardware:

Core i7 4930k Proc
Asus P9X79-WS Motherboard
64 Gig Ram
2 SSDs
2 Nvidia Quadro K6000 GPUs with Quadro SyncBoard
Vmware vSphere Esxi 6.0 update 2

Installed ESXI with 2 VMs. Passthrough K6000 and both the VMs are running perfectly 4 output each (Windows 7 x64)

Following are the issues:

Using Nvidia driver ver 362.56
Nvidia Control Panel missing mosaic feature - Got it sorted by using mosaic utility command line
Nvidia Control Panel no option to configure Syncboard. If i check the system information, i can see the sync board but i cannot configure the sync

Anyone with this issue?. I think for this type of setup i dont need any VIB files on the esxi host. correct me if I am wrong

Regards

Kazim

Posted 05/31/2016 09:06 AM   
It's not supported https://gridforums.nvidia.com/default/topic/837/nvidia-quadro-k6000-gpus-with-quadro-syncboard-vmware-esxi-passthrough/

Jason Southern, Regional Lead for ProVis Sales - EMEA: NVIDIA Ltd.

Posted 05/31/2016 03:20 PM   
I was trying to do an evaluation with simple pass through graphics and struggled for several days. I wanted to build a test bed from a HP z820 workstation. Dual 8 core Xeon's with 128 GB of RAM and and SSD raid array. ESXI 6.0 and three Quadro 4000 graphics cards. All I wanted was a way to use a graphically accelerated virtual machines for some Solidworks testing, and in the future to provide remote access for Engineers over the weekend and when they are on the road. The server, graphics cards, loading of ESXI was all very straight forward. Not wanting to spend cash on licensing for an evaluation project was a struggle but I found the HP remote graphics software sender/receiver can accomplish accelerated graphics. Every HP Z workstation comes with a license for it and they have a 60 day eval license, and to purchase a license its not expensive. This was a simple an easy to get going remote client with little to no cost. There are a few quirks. #1 do not open the console from vsphere client this disables the 3d card as the graphics display card. If you do, its okay, launch the graphics receiver, login, go into device manger and disable the VMware SVGA 3d card, this will switch the VM back to the pass through card in my case a quadro 4000. This is working well for what I needed it for, a way to run a few VM's with CAD graphics. It may be simple for those that setup and configure VM's all the time but all the different pdf's on vDGA and VGPU made this process confusing.
I was trying to do an evaluation with simple pass through graphics and struggled for several days. I wanted to build a test bed from a HP z820 workstation. Dual 8 core Xeon's with 128 GB of RAM and and SSD raid array. ESXI 6.0 and three Quadro 4000 graphics cards. All I wanted was a way to use a graphically accelerated virtual machines for some Solidworks testing, and in the future to provide remote access for Engineers over the weekend and when they are on the road. The server, graphics cards, loading of ESXI was all very straight forward. Not wanting to spend cash on licensing for an evaluation project was a struggle but I found the HP remote graphics software sender/receiver can accomplish accelerated graphics. Every HP Z workstation comes with a license for it and they have a 60 day eval license, and to purchase a license its not expensive. This was a simple an easy to get going remote client with little to no cost. There are a few quirks. #1 do not open the console from vsphere client this disables the 3d card as the graphics display card. If you do, its okay, launch the graphics receiver, login, go into device manger and disable the VMware SVGA 3d card, this will switch the VM back to the pass through card in my case a quadro 4000. This is working well for what I needed it for, a way to run a few VM's with CAD graphics. It may be simple for those that setup and configure VM's all the time but all the different pdf's on vDGA and VGPU made this process confusing.

Posted 09/09/2016 02:01 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply