NVIDIA
Does Blast Extreme offload the decode on the endpoint GPU?
Hi All, I am very excited about the benefits of Horizon 7 - Blast Extreme's ability to offload encoding onto the GPU. Does that also allow offloading of the decode to a GPU on the endpoint? Or does that decode still happen in CPU? Thanks! Richard
Hi All,

I am very excited about the benefits of Horizon 7 - Blast Extreme's ability to offload encoding onto the GPU. Does that also allow offloading of the decode to a GPU on the endpoint? Or does that decode still happen in CPU?

Thanks!

Richard

Posted 04/07/2016 04:23 AM   
Hi Richard, I will check but I think the VMware team are releasing new View clients that indeed do hardware decode. Many of the VMware team are at GTC (as you are) and could fill you in on details. Rachel
Hi Richard,

I will check but I think the VMware team are releasing new View clients that indeed do hardware decode. Many of the VMware team are at GTC (as you are) and could fill you in on details.

Rachel

Posted 04/07/2016 05:26 AM   
Thanks Rachel! I'll see if I can find out as well and update this post. Cheers, Richard
Thanks Rachel! I'll see if I can find out as well and update this post.

Cheers,

Richard

Posted 04/07/2016 01:57 PM   
VMware Blast Extreme leverages two codecs internally. H.264 and JPG/PNG. If H.264 codec is used, then client side offloads the decode process to H.264 engine on the client. If JPG/PNG is used, decode happens within the CPU on client side. Cheers, Kiran.
VMware Blast Extreme leverages two codecs internally. H.264 and JPG/PNG. If H.264 codec is used, then client side offloads the decode process to H.264 engine on the client. If JPG/PNG is used, decode happens within the CPU on client side.

Cheers,
Kiran.

Posted 04/07/2016 02:23 PM   
Great info and that's great it can offload decoding on the endpoint. Thanks Kiran! Richard
Great info and that's great it can offload decoding on the endpoint.

Thanks Kiran!

Richard

Posted 04/07/2016 02:44 PM   
I've had it confirmed that with the 4.0 Horizon Clients for Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, and Chrome VMware do hardware offload today.
I've had it confirmed that with the 4.0 Horizon Clients for Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, and Chrome VMware do hardware offload today.

Posted 04/07/2016 04:18 PM   
Thanks Rachel! You're the best!
Thanks Rachel! You're the best!

Posted 04/08/2016 01:34 AM   
KiranRao who posted about is the PM at VMware for Blast Extreme. I could also point out its in the client documentation.... ;)
KiranRao who posted about is the PM at VMware for Blast Extreme.

I could also point out its in the client documentation.... ;)

Jason Southern, Regional Lead for ProVis Sales - EMEA: NVIDIA Ltd.

Posted 04/08/2016 10:33 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply