NVIDIA
VDI using M10 -- Impact and How-to disable Hardware Acceleration in Windows 10
So this is a an odd use case I'm sure -- but here it goes: I'm wondering if it is feasible/possible to use the M10 (vDGA, or vGPU w/ a M10-1B, M10-4Q or M10-8Q profile) to provide the 4x 1920x1200 displays to VMs but w/in the guest OS prevent the virtual GPU from ever allowing DirectX or OpenGL acceleration. I've tried adding the registry setting: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics] "DisableHWAcceleration"=dword:00000001 but after reboot, it does not seem to work. A bit of Background: We are attempting to Virtualize Workstations, each w/ 4x 1920x1200 displays. We would like to get a density of 8 Workstations per server; each server has Dual Tesla M10 and Dual Teradici Apex 2800 PCoIP accelerators. Each Workstation VM will have Windows 10 as a guest OS and run a java application entirely software rendered as well as Office 2016 (Excel, primarily). Additionally, each workstation will have Activu Advanced Agent for Off-the-Glass recording. Activu has 2 Capture Modes: Software and Hardware. Software mode is ideal (only transmits pixel differences between frames w/ reduces CPU utilization and Network bandwidth). Hardware captures / encodes the entire desktop (3840x2400 resolution). According to Activu, Hardware MUST be used if any application is using DirectX or OpenGL. We'd perfer Software Capturing but that only works if OpenGL and DirectX is not used. Thanks for reading; Any help you can provide is truly appreciated. Any help you can provide is appreciated.
So this is a an odd use case I'm sure -- but here it goes:

I'm wondering if it is feasible/possible to use the M10 (vDGA, or vGPU w/ a M10-1B, M10-4Q or M10-8Q profile) to provide the 4x 1920x1200 displays to VMs but w/in the guest OS prevent the virtual GPU from ever allowing DirectX or OpenGL acceleration.

I've tried adding the registry setting:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics]
"DisableHWAcceleration"=dword:00000001

but after reboot, it does not seem to work.

A bit of Background:

We are attempting to Virtualize Workstations, each w/ 4x 1920x1200 displays. We would like to get a density of 8 Workstations per server; each server has Dual Tesla M10 and Dual Teradici Apex 2800 PCoIP accelerators.

Each Workstation VM will have Windows 10 as a guest OS and run a java application entirely software rendered as well as Office 2016 (Excel, primarily). Additionally, each workstation will have Activu Advanced Agent for Off-the-Glass recording.

Activu has 2 Capture Modes: Software and Hardware. Software mode is ideal (only transmits pixel differences between frames w/ reduces CPU utilization and Network bandwidth). Hardware captures / encodes the entire desktop (3840x2400 resolution). According to Activu, Hardware MUST be used if any application is using DirectX or OpenGL.

We'd perfer Software Capturing but that only works if OpenGL and DirectX is not used.

Thanks for reading; Any help you can provide is truly appreciated.
Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Posted 03/08/2018 10:39 PM   
Never had this kind of request. I don't think that works and I'm wondering why not just using HW acceleration. This is what the GPU does and therefore your request is pretty strange. Regards Simon
Never had this kind of request. I don't think that works and I'm wondering why not just using HW acceleration. This is what the GPU does and therefore your request is pretty strange.

Regards

Simon

Posted 03/10/2018 12:35 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply