NVIDIA
HyperV 2016 DDA questions
Hello, [u]can someone clearify what version of what drivers needs to be installed? [/u] in nvidia enterprise portal i only see a 4.6 grid driver (370.21) but i do see that there should be newer versions too! (at least under the vgpu driver sections, file name is the same: 370.21_grid_win10_server2016_64bit_international.exe vs 391.58_grid_win10_server2016_64bit_international) are there any drivers needed on the hyperV Host itself? because disabling and dismounting the GPUs in Host makes the driver useless i guess... only the driver in the Guest VM matters?? [u]and how to license?[/u] hyperV VM console does open in "enchanced session" (RDP) per default but can be switched to "basic session" but there the screen just stays black... and in RDP Session i can't open the nvidia control panel... i read in the forums here that this should be fixed in a future version, the post was from back in 2017 somewhat.. i did ran a a couple of tests and also monitored gpu utilization with gpuprofiler and it looks like the gpu is used even without any license installed... thx Steve
Hello,
can someone clearify what version of what drivers needs to be installed?

in nvidia enterprise portal i only see a 4.6 grid driver (370.21) but i do see that there should be newer versions too! (at least under the vgpu driver sections, file name is the same: 370.21_grid_win10_server2016_64bit_international.exe vs 391.58_grid_win10_server2016_64bit_international)

are there any drivers needed on the hyperV Host itself? because disabling and dismounting the GPUs in Host makes the driver useless i guess...

only the driver in the Guest VM matters??

and how to license?

hyperV VM console does open in "enchanced session" (RDP) per default but can be switched to "basic session" but there the screen just stays black...

and in RDP Session i can't open the nvidia control panel... i read in the forums here that this should be fixed in a future version, the post was from back in 2017 somewhat..

i did ran a a couple of tests and also monitored gpu utilization with gpuprofiler and it looks like the gpu is used even without any license installed...

thx
Steve

Posted 07/03/2018 09:26 AM   
And your NVidia HW is ...
And your NVidia HW is ...

Posted 07/03/2018 11:19 AM   
[quote=""]And your NVidia HW is ...[/quote] Tesla M10... basically the version question is answered allready... i did saw only old software because of an old trial license i had in my account.. with a new license, new versions appeared too!
said:And your NVidia HW is ...

Tesla M10...

basically the version question is answered allready... i did saw only old software because of an old trial license i had in my account.. with a new license, new versions appeared too!

Posted 07/03/2018 12:55 PM   
How to license? It depends what you want to achieve. For RDSH you would need vApps CCU licenses and for VDI you would need vPC or QvDWS licenses. Regards Simon
How to license?
It depends what you want to achieve.
For RDSH you would need vApps CCU licenses and for VDI you would need vPC or QvDWS licenses.

Regards

Simon

Posted 07/03/2018 05:28 PM   
[quote=""]only the driver in the Guest VM matters??[/quote] Yes, with DDA (or other name for video card passthrough). You can check installed driver over standard RDP with standard device manager. (If not attached or in error try to reinstall over RDP). [list] [.]Grid 4.[3-6] driver [b]370.xx[/b] for M10 with [b]WinServer 2016 1607+1709[/b] (see [url]https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/4.6/product-support-matrix/index.html[/url]) can be deployed with license ignorance. You can ignore "license pop-up" or stop license requests (delete regkey "[b]GridLicensedFeatures[/b]" in "CurrentControlSet"). But be aware the Grid4.x drivers are left intentionally bugy (search this forum).[/.] [.]Grid 5.x/6.x driver [b]38x.x/39x.x[/b] (also WinServer 2016 1607+1709) (see [url]https://docs.nvidia.com/grid/6.0/product-support-matrix/index.html[/url]) need [b]Quadro vDWS license for DDA[/b] (see [url]https://images.nvidia.com/content/grid/pdf/161207-GRID-Packaging-and-Licensing-Guide.pdf[/url]).[/.] [/list]
said:only the driver in the Guest VM matters??

Yes, with DDA (or other name for video card passthrough).
You can check installed driver over standard RDP with standard device manager. (If not attached or in error try to reinstall over RDP).

Posted 07/03/2018 06:21 PM   
mcerveny, Do you know if there is a demo period or a way to test the hardware pass through prior to licensing? I don't want to spend the money on something that will not work for us. Thanks...
mcerveny,

Do you know if there is a demo period or a way to test the hardware pass through prior to licensing? I don't want to spend the money on something that will not work for us.

Thanks...

Posted 08/09/2018 05:44 PM   
Embedded demo period does not exist. But there are possibility to register for evaluation licenses (90 days) and access to enterprise portal with software releases - http://www.nvidia.com/object/vgpu-evaluation.html and continue with "software download"...
Embedded demo period does not exist. But there are possibility to register for evaluation licenses (90 days) and access to enterprise portal with software releases - http://www.nvidia.com/object/vgpu-evaluation.html and continue with "software download"...

Posted 08/09/2018 07:31 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply