NVIDIA
How to update an existing registered license server with a backup license server?
Hello, I decided to add High availability functionality to my existing NVIDIA license server. I need to download an updated license file in order to add the new license server. How do I update an existing registered license server with a backup license server? When trying to create a new on I get the error: "Host ID "xxxxxxx" already exists (or a host with the same UUID exists)." I couldn't find where to update an existing license server.
Hello,
I decided to add High availability functionality to my existing NVIDIA license server. I need to download an updated license file in order to add the new license server.
How do I update an existing registered license server with a backup license server?
When trying to create a new on I get the error: "Host ID "xxxxxxx" already exists (or a host with the same UUID exists)."
I couldn't find where to update an existing license server.

Posted 11/07/2018 01:43 PM   
When you add a license server to the License Management Portal, you do this as either a single license server, or as a HA pair. Due to current limitations in the License Management Portal, you cannot turn a single license server into a HA pair once it's been added, nor can you remove it. The easiest way to resolve this is either: [b]A:[/b] If you contact NVIDIA Support, they have the ability to remove an existing license server for you. You [i]should[/i] then be able to re-add it as a new license server along with your new backup license server. Create the new license which will be bound to both of those new MAC addresses and download it. To stop any unexpected issues, reset your [u]existing[/u] license server [u]before[/u] applying the new license file to it using this link: [url]https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4111/~/a-change-occurs-on-the-grid-licensing-server-such-as-ip-address,-or-a-change-in[/url]. Import the new license file into both of your license servers, and using a GPO, push out the new addresses onto your vGPU enabled VMs. [b]B:[/b] Leaving your existing license server running to maintain service, build 2x new license servers in your local environment (you've already built 1 new one). Once built, add them to the License Management Portal as a HA pair. Remove the licenses from your existing single license server (un-map add-ons). Then create the new license which will be bound to both of those new MAC addresses. Download and import the new license file into both of your license servers, and using a GPO, push out the new addresses onto your vGPU enabled VMs. Regarding your old license server, you can either leave this unused in the License Management Portal, or contact NVIDIA Support to remove it. [b]C:[/b] Assuming your license server runs as a VM and not a physical server .... Shutdown your local license server, generate a new MAC address in your hypervisor and power it back up. Using the URL from Option A, reset your license server. In the License Management Portal, remove the licenses from your existing single license server (un-map add-ons). Then create the new license which will be bound to both of those new MAC addresses. Download and import the new license file into both of your license servers, and using a GPO, push out the new addresses onto your vGPU enabled VMs. I have not personally tried Option A, however I know that NVIDIA Support have the ability to remove a license server. If it were me, I'd go with option B, as you can run this in parallel with your existing license server until the change over happens. There won't be any issues with VMs not being able to contact the license server if there are any delays in bringing the service back up. You can take your time and not be rushed. However, if you have other services on your existing license server that are reliant on a specific MAC address, then you may want to use options A or C. Just to add ... License server management is something that's being worked on internally at NVIDIA as we speak. Expect new management features and enhancements to be released as and when they are developed. Everyone I've spoken to is well aware of the current limitations and these are being worked on. So don't worry, this will become easier as the platform evolves :-) Ben
When you add a license server to the License Management Portal, you do this as either a single license server, or as a HA pair. Due to current limitations in the License Management Portal, you cannot turn a single license server into a HA pair once it's been added, nor can you remove it. The easiest way to resolve this is either:

A: If you contact NVIDIA Support, they have the ability to remove an existing license server for you. You should then be able to re-add it as a new license server along with your new backup license server. Create the new license which will be bound to both of those new MAC addresses and download it. To stop any unexpected issues, reset your existing license server before applying the new license file to it using this link: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4111/~/a-change-occurs-on-the-grid-licensing-server-such-as-ip-address,-or-a-change-in. Import the new license file into both of your license servers, and using a GPO, push out the new addresses onto your vGPU enabled VMs.

B: Leaving your existing license server running to maintain service, build 2x new license servers in your local environment (you've already built 1 new one). Once built, add them to the License Management Portal as a HA pair. Remove the licenses from your existing single license server (un-map add-ons). Then create the new license which will be bound to both of those new MAC addresses. Download and import the new license file into both of your license servers, and using a GPO, push out the new addresses onto your vGPU enabled VMs. Regarding your old license server, you can either leave this unused in the License Management Portal, or contact NVIDIA Support to remove it.

C: Assuming your license server runs as a VM and not a physical server .... Shutdown your local license server, generate a new MAC address in your hypervisor and power it back up. Using the URL from Option A, reset your license server. In the License Management Portal, remove the licenses from your existing single license server (un-map add-ons). Then create the new license which will be bound to both of those new MAC addresses. Download and import the new license file into both of your license servers, and using a GPO, push out the new addresses onto your vGPU enabled VMs.

I have not personally tried Option A, however I know that NVIDIA Support have the ability to remove a license server. If it were me, I'd go with option B, as you can run this in parallel with your existing license server until the change over happens. There won't be any issues with VMs not being able to contact the license server if there are any delays in bringing the service back up. You can take your time and not be rushed. However, if you have other services on your existing license server that are reliant on a specific MAC address, then you may want to use options A or C.

Just to add ... License server management is something that's being worked on internally at NVIDIA as we speak. Expect new management features and enhancements to be released as and when they are developed. Everyone I've spoken to is well aware of the current limitations and these are being worked on. So don't worry, this will become easier as the platform evolves :-)

Ben

Posted 11/08/2018 12:34 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply