NVIDIA
Physical GPU shared between user/license types
As long as the Hypervisor is licensed for vGPU, there are no "Hypervisor" vGPU profile limitations. Whether Nutanix applies some sort of limitation is up to them. You [b]CAN[/b] run mixed profiles on a single M60. The M60 has 2x GPUs, you need to run matching profiles on the same GPU, not same Card. Depending on the vGPU profiles you choose, you may need to change the M60s default assignment policy from "Breadth-First" to "Depth-First". You can get additional detail from the "GRID vGPU User Guide" (Section 2.2.9 - Page 26) that comes with the GRID drivers. Alternatively, start 1x VM with each Profile. This will automatically place them on separate GPUs. You can then start the rest of the VMs and they will automatically get assigned to the appropriate GPU. Regards
As long as the Hypervisor is licensed for vGPU, there are no "Hypervisor" vGPU profile limitations. Whether Nutanix applies some sort of limitation is up to them.

You CAN run mixed profiles on a single M60. The M60 has 2x GPUs, you need to run matching profiles on the same GPU, not same Card.

Depending on the vGPU profiles you choose, you may need to change the M60s default assignment policy from "Breadth-First" to "Depth-First". You can get additional detail from the "GRID vGPU User Guide" (Section 2.2.9 - Page 26) that comes with the GRID drivers.

Alternatively, start 1x VM with each Profile. This will automatically place them on separate GPUs. You can then start the rest of the VMs and they will automatically get assigned to the appropriate GPU.

Regards

Posted 10/07/2016 09:14 PM   
[quote="edrenaline"] the Nutanix 'nVidia' person says we cannot mix profiles per card. [/quote] This sounds like there's confusion between the term card and GPU. There are multiple GPU's on each CARD a GPU cannot mix profiles, but each GPU on a CARD can run a different profile.
edrenaline said: the Nutanix 'nVidia' person says we cannot mix profiles per card.

This sounds like there's confusion between the term card and GPU.

There are multiple GPU's on each CARD

a GPU cannot mix profiles, but each GPU on a CARD can run a different profile.

Jason Southern, Regional Lead for ProVis Sales - EMEA: NVIDIA Ltd.

Posted 10/11/2016 09:38 AM   
[quote="JasonSouthernNV"][quote="edrenaline"] the Nutanix 'nVidia' person says we cannot mix profiles per card. [/quote] This sounds like there's confusion between the term card and GPU. There are multiple GPU's on each CARD a GPU cannot mix profiles, but each GPU on a CARD can run a different profile. [/quote] Not sure what is going on, but I had a call today with Eric and Randall from nVidia and I think we're getting some things ironed out. We talked a bit more about Blast Extreme and PCoIP as it relates to performance and the number of monitors the end-user can have. Also discussed the M10 as that may end up being a very good fit for us if Win10 VDI really does perform measurably better with GPU acceleration. As far as confusion about the cards, I'm pretty spot on with that. Maybe I should just use the term 'die' and 'card'. It's easy for me to keep straight, and maybe not so easy for others.
JasonSouthernNV said:
edrenaline said: the Nutanix 'nVidia' person says we cannot mix profiles per card.

This sounds like there's confusion between the term card and GPU.

There are multiple GPU's on each CARD

a GPU cannot mix profiles, but each GPU on a CARD can run a different profile.

Not sure what is going on, but I had a call today with Eric and Randall from nVidia and I think we're getting some things ironed out. We talked a bit more about Blast Extreme and PCoIP as it relates to performance and the number of monitors the end-user can have. Also discussed the M10 as that may end up being a very good fit for us if Win10 VDI really does perform measurably better with GPU acceleration. As far as confusion about the cards, I'm pretty spot on with that. Maybe I should just use the term 'die' and 'card'. It's easy for me to keep straight, and maybe not so easy for others.

Posted 10/14/2016 06:38 PM   
There was a conversation around Blast Extreme and VMware's multi-monitor restriction when it comes to NVENC - just wondering what is the latest status? Also, when Blast Extreme is in dual monitor mode, will the primary monitor be utilizing NVENC and only the secondary require CPU encoding?
There was a conversation around Blast Extreme and VMware's multi-monitor restriction when it comes to NVENC - just wondering what is the latest status?

Also, when Blast Extreme is in dual monitor mode, will the primary monitor be utilizing NVENC and only the secondary require CPU encoding?

Posted 04/28/2017 05:00 AM   
Hi KJSteven, since Horizon 7.0.3 there is multi-monitor support with Blast Extreme and NVENC. So this hopefully answers your question. Regards Simon
Hi KJSteven,

since Horizon 7.0.3 there is multi-monitor support with Blast Extreme and NVENC. So this hopefully answers your question.

Regards

Simon

Posted 04/28/2017 04:44 PM   
[quote="sschaber"]Hi KJSteven, since Horizon 7.0.3 there is multi-monitor support with Blast Extreme and NVENC. So this hopefully answers your question. Regards Simon[/quote] Appreciate the response Simon. I think my excitement may have been shortlived - the release notes of 7.0.3 [url]https://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en/horizon-7-view/horizon-703-view-release-notes.html[/url] does tick H.264 support for multi-screens BUT will NVENC be utilized (for multi-screens) if GRID is present rather than using the CPU for the encoding?
sschaber said:Hi KJSteven,

since Horizon 7.0.3 there is multi-monitor support with Blast Extreme and NVENC. So this hopefully answers your question.

Regards

Simon

Appreciate the response Simon. I think my excitement may have been shortlived - the release notes of 7.0.3 https://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en/horizon-7-view/horizon-703-view-release-notes.html does tick H.264 support for multi-screens BUT will NVENC be utilized (for multi-screens) if GRID is present rather than using the CPU for the encoding?

Posted 04/30/2017 08:05 AM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply