NVIDIA Logo - Artificial Intelligence Computing Leadership from NVIDIA
No GPU Profiles - nvidia-smi error
Followed the Cisco guide to installing everything for our M10 GPUs. When the cards were intially installed, nvidia-smi gave the correct information. Now they respond with: NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running. Running esxcli software vib list | grep -i nvidia gives: NVIDIA-VMware_ESXi_6.7_Host_Driver 390.94-1OEM.670.0.0.8169922 NVIDIA VMwareAccepted 2019-01-28 Not sure what's happening or how to fix it.
Followed the Cisco guide to installing everything for our M10 GPUs. When the cards were intially installed, nvidia-smi gave the correct information. Now they respond with:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Running esxcli software vib list | grep -i nvidia gives:

NVIDIA-VMware_ESXi_6.7_Host_Driver 390.94-1OEM.670.0.0.8169922 NVIDIA VMwareAccepted 2019-01-28

Not sure what's happening or how to fix it.

Posted 01/29/2019 08:18 PM   
Just in case someone sees this when searching. I figured out what went wrong. On page 42 of this document: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/desktop-virtualization-solutions-vmware-horizon-view/whitepaper_c11-739654.pdf It shows how to enable passthrough, if you're using vDGA. You don't want passthrough enabled if you're using vGPU. Disabling passthrough and rebooting the hosts (again...) fixed the issue.
Just in case someone sees this when searching. I figured out what went wrong.

On page 42 of this document:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/data-center-virtualization/desktop-virtualization-solutions-vmware-horizon-view/whitepaper_c11-739654.pdf

It shows how to enable passthrough, if you're using vDGA. You don't want passthrough enabled if you're using vGPU. Disabling passthrough and rebooting the hosts (again...) fixed the issue.

Posted 01/29/2019 09:17 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply